January 4, 2012

Day 9: A favorite picture of a best friend

Oh hell... I hate the days that ask me to single out just one person... So I won't do it.

I kind of have lots of best friends, yet none at all. Some may consider me their best friend, but I just have friends. I love my friends dearly, like they were my own family, but I feel to call any of them "best friends" would be to place them above any other. I have some favorite pictures with several friends, however, and I'll put them all here. (In no particular order... this image uploader is effed up...)

 This is Lisha, who also happens to have a blog and also happens to be doing the Thirty-Day bloggity blog. When this photo was taken (at Disneyland, bitches!!!), we still didn't know each other very well, but I'm really glad to have gotten to know her. She's a sweet spirit, who can play a mean round of Mario Party...

 Rachel was an Ambassador with me at our junior college. I knew the second I met her that we'd be friends. I wasn't wrong! This girl is the most driven I've ever known. She went on to be Student Gov't president, worked three jobs in the community, and managed to keep all her schooling on lock. She's pretty much an inspiration to me.

 This beautiful creature is Davina. She was one of my Silks instructors, and a damn hard one at that. Warm-up alone was always enough to make me want to die, but she kept on you, and encouraged you to continue. She went on to co-own a company of dancers, both aerial and not, that have performed all over Utah!

 Scotty... Scotty, Scotty, Scotty... What to say about Scotty? First of all, he was my very first roommate. We lived together for about 5 months, and it was the best 5 months of my entire schooling career... maybe even my life. We turned our dorm into the Ravenclaw common room. We even had to tell each other riddles for the other to enter. Scotty made me never want to have roommates again, because nobody could EVER compare to the amazing-ness that he was.

 Oh, Annie. What can I say about my very first Silks instructor (other than the fact that she rocks the Wicked Witch of the West!)? She was so amazing. In a studio that focused on fitness, she really rocked everyone's world by telling people to feel music, and dance with it. When you're working every muscle in your body to stay aloft, fitness comes naturally. It's when you're feeling your movements and turning them into dance that you being to have fun. She co-owns an aerial company with Davina, one that I hope to join when I'm more skilled.

 Farrah! This girl. She was another one of those "take one look, yep, we're friends". She was one of the first people to show me that, just because she's LDS, doesn't mean she can't love everyone. She found out about my sexuality very early in our friendship, but was never affected by it. She just saw it as a part of me. And I felt the same way about her religion. In a culture that is dominated by one religion, where the members wear it on their sleeves, base their every thought and action on it, it's hard not to put them all in a little box and slide it under the bed. Farrah was the person I couldn't put in a box. Because she was just awesome.

Preston (middle). Oh, Preston... What are we going to do with him? I love him dearly. Preston and I were unlikely friends at first, due to our mutual dislike of other homosexuals. He and I both see them (and this is me, putting people in boxes again) as the stereotypical, sex-driven, effeminate, douchebags. I think it was due to this mutuality that we made pretty fast friends.

And then there's Monica (right). Monica and I have been friends for seven years now, which is a long time for someone who moves a lot. I don't even know where to begin to describe her. There are only a few stand-alone words that will do the job: Awesome. Dramatic (not always a bad thing, y'all). Loud. Wonderful. Mutable. Mutable (adj): Liable to change. This girl has watched me changing for seven years, and I always thought it strange that she didn't really do much of the same. But lately, I'm seeing change, and I like it. I think she hit her transformation a little late, but she's finally starting to realize who she is, and I feel honored that I get to be here to experience this.

So yes, not best friends, just friends. But in my mind, if you're a "friend" it means I love you dearly and I would do anything for you. And these are just a few. I have so many more that I may not have pictures with, but have so many precious memories of. You know who you are (Sara, Kelton, Jan, Melissa, anyone I've ever danced with, just to name a few more...).

So much love,
Ash

1 comment:

  1. So I just want to say that I love this and all the pictures. And how freckly my face is. And how fabulous your face is. And I just want to let you know that if my love for you were an ocean, I would still be looking for the bottom.

    ReplyDelete