January 30, 2012

Answering a recurring question

I told you I wouldn't be posting daily. It's been, what, four days since I posted. I feel the proverbial nakedness not having poured my soul into some website. God, what is our civilization these days?

And speaking of God, I've been asked this question a lot recently: Why the prayer beads?
I got a set of prayer beads a few weeks ago from a little local metaphysical shop (and when I say little, I mean only slightly larger than my bedroom, and they're not even using all their space). Of their selection, I chose one made mostly from "skull beads". The "eyes" of the skull were made in the wood by insects looking for food. They were found and cleaned by the artist, and the rest of the features of the skull carved in. I like the symbol of the skull, and so this particular string of prayer beads called out to me more than others. I try to wear the beads daily.
The first several times people had asked me why I was wearing them, I gave the really lame answer of, "I just liked them." But I knew that there was more of a reason than that. I asked my Self the question... "Why did I see these beads and know they were meant for me?" Much like a freshman frat boy, the answer came quickly: "Though I'm not religious, I still need prayer in my life." I still have a connection to [God/the Universe/the Self/the Higher Power/what-have-you], and I can still ask for guidance or blessings when I feel like I need them. I also need to be thankful for everything I do have in this life. I'm starting to notice all the small and daily miracles (as well as the big ones) that happen around me, and when I do, I say a little "Thank you". Though I don't necessarily pray with the beads, or have a specific prayer for them, the beads are my reminder that prayer is a necessity to the soul. If you believe in your soul, feed it with prayer.

I can't think of a clever sign-off this time,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment