January 10, 2012

Day 15: A Bible verse

Okay, now I'm feeling a little bit awkward... I'm not really a religious person. I'm spiritual, and have a relationship with God (Universe, the Self, whatever you choose to call it), but I don't subscribe to any religion, and therefore never took much stock in the Bible. Sure, I could quote to you Matthew 5:25 (thank you Seminary), but I couldn't give you a favorite Bible verse.

So, once again, I'm going to throw my sexuality in your face. A lot of bigots, including several presidential candidates, not to name any names (BACHMANN, PERRY, SANTORUM, ROMNEY), are using a specific bible quote as justification for their hatred of gays.
Lev 18:22 "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
Okay, but there's a lot the bible said you couldn't do that people are doing every day, like eating shellfish, getting bowl cuts, "pulling out" (no joke), and my personal favorite, getting tattoos.
Lev 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord"
I love a good dose of irony in the morning.

So rather than damn us to hell (because you have the power to do that, obviously), why not keep in mind a few better ones?
Matt 7:1-2 "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you."
Gal 5:14 "For the law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"
John 8:7 "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Gathering stones,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment